Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Beginning

I've wanted to start this blog on autism for a while, it just needed a name. and now it has one:

Autism + Activism
=

AUTIVISM


The name is perfect, but my content is not. All I know is that right now I am a 23 year old women with Aspegers (or should I say Autism, thanks DSM-5), who has a 5 year old son with Autism - who wants to have a place to discuss what it means and what it is like to live with autism.

Owing to my own experience, I will be focusing on 'high-functioning' autism and the specific, often unseen, difficulties that those on the autism spectrum may face (as I see it). I do not care to argue whether or not autism is a 'disability', but I agree that those on the spectrum face unique challenges owing to their unique selves ('disability' or not), challenges that are not the same for every individual on the spectrum despite the common ground. I also have a special place in my mind for the experience of females on the spectrum, because I feel these experiences are all too frequently overlooked.

In short, I have no idea where this will lead me but your welcome along for the ride.





No comments:

Post a Comment